PDA

View Full Version : Book Thread

Gruntly
04-08-2011, 01:06 PM
They had one of these on MLGPro...so I thought I'd add one here.

Post some books that you like............

Personally, my favorite book series as of now is the Ender series. Some other good ones are the Wheel of Time, as well as any Ken Follett books.

Ayn Rands Anthem is a really good read that should only take about an hour to finish.

So yeh, any books you like...post here. Been looking for some more to read.

Itz McFluffy
04-08-2011, 01:11 PM
The Golden compass books, The Inheritance Cycle. Enders game is good. Many more but i'll have to think

vesslux
04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Dune
Anything by C.S Lewis
Anything by Tolkien
Golden Compass
Most stuff by Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash, Diamond Age, Anathem)
Theres actually a few decent grisham books too

Giant421
04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm a classics guy so I have to say my all time favorite is The Count of Monte Cristo and then Dantes Inferno. As for series nothing beats LOTR and Harry potter (sorry but I grew up with it) no sparkling vampires for me

HEA7
04-08-2011, 01:59 PM
The Phantom TollBooth. By far my favorite book evar!

Americ4n Psych0
04-08-2011, 02:02 PM
The Catcher In The Rye.

mrkillboy
04-08-2011, 02:33 PM
The Thieflord.
World War Z

wookiemanx
04-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Anything by Phillip K Dick favorite being Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-Five, Breakfast of Champions
Aldous Huxley- Brave New World
George Orwell- Animal Farm, 1984
H.G. Wells(everything)
I'll add more if I think of any.

namebrand
04-08-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm currently reading A Clash Of Kings, book two of the A Song Of Ice And Fire series. If you like fantasy, read this series as soon as you can. It makes the Inheritance series look like the Dr. Seuss of fantasy novels.

vesslux
04-08-2011, 10:12 PM
The Phantom TollBooth. By far my favorite book evar!

ROFL!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0PZAopAq6Q&feature=related

Gruntly
04-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Anything by Phillip K Dick favorite being Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-Five, Breakfast of Champions
Aldous Huxley- Brave New World
George Orwell- Animal Farm, 1984
H.G. Wells(everything)
I'll add more if I think of any.

I totally forgot about 1984. Definitely something you want to read if you haven't yet.

SirrTophamHat
04-17-2011, 01:55 PM
I suggest reading The Road. It's a fantastic novel about a man surviving with his son in a world that has become unsustainable. There is a film adaptation, but I suggest to read the book first. The perception of what the character looks like in the novel will be better than what the movie has to offer, but that's just an opinion.

DaMuSiCFiEnD
04-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Can't lie that I read a lot but "the jungle" is.a.great book

ScottySunHands
04-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Dune
Anything by C.S Lewis
Anything by Tolkien
Golden Compass
Most stuff by Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash, Diamond Age, Anathem)
Theres actually a few decent grisham books too

I'm a classics guy so I have to say my all time favorite is The Count of Monte Cristo and then Dantes Inferno. As for series nothing beats LOTR and Harry potter (sorry but I grew up with it) no sparkling vampires for me

These pretty much sum it up for me. I highly recommend the Count of Monte Cristo and Dune especially.
Another really good book I read was Cracking Open the Head: A Journey into Contemporary Shamanism. It's about drugs and stuff, but it breaks the stuff about/around them down pretty intelligently.

Gruntly
04-18-2011, 07:27 AM
I suggest reading The Road. It's a fantastic novel about a man surviving with his son in a world that has become unsustainable. There is a film adaptation, but I suggest to read the book first. The perception of what the character looks like in the novel will be better than what the movie has to offer, but that's just an opinion.

I saw the movie. I wondered if there was a book for it. I'll check it out, thanks.

Antidote
04-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Anything by

Kurt Vonnegut
Tolkien
C.S Lewis
R.A Salvatore (not necessarily good, I just personally enjoy his writing style)

Currently re-reading "The Sword of Truth" series. One of the best I've ever read.

Also don't watch the T.V. version, it's awful.

xMortyZx
04-18-2011, 03:06 PM
The Catcher In The Rye.

Nice Call!! Phenomenal book and revolutionary for its time. Highly suggest "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac if you liked Catcher. Not really the same topic but the same style. And for 1951 it gives you an insiders depth for the " future movement" experienced by counter-cultures of the 1960's.

I'm really surprised no one has suggested Harry Potter here. Why? Its absolutely the eternal struggle between good and evil. Even though the first couple books "sorcerers stone/philosophers stone (depending on if you live in america or england) and chamber of secerts are childrens books the rest in the 7 book series are pretty dark. Especially half blood prince where you get an indepth look into Voldamort's past. Amazing series. Hats off to JK Rowlings who created her own world here. Just like Tolken, Hubbard, etc.

"Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn. There are two books here. Pick up "Ishmael" and NOT "My Ishmael" Extremely eye opening and I promise you; your outlook on life will change after reading this book.

"The Alchamist" by Paulo Coelho. For those of you out there who tend to "wander" You know who you are...

"Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. Exploits of Team 10 in Afghan. Anything I say will not do this novel justice.

ScottySunHands
04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
For those of you out there who tend to "wander" You know who you are...

You can come home now Morty.
We miss you.
(I hope this creeped you out)
Ill be checking that book out.

xMortyZx
04-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Sort of creepy; but not as creepy as this...

http://www.meh.ro/original/2009_12/meh.ro2903.jpg

Scotty, you would love Ishmael. Go get that one too!

mrkillboy
04-19-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm currently brainstorming a Zombie book idea. Maybe you guys can read my first 1-3 chapters.

ScottySunHands
04-19-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm currently brainstorming a Zombie book idea. Maybe you guys can read my first 1-3 chapters.

Post it up somewhere or something. I'll read it. Maybe.

Scotty, you would love Ishmael. Go get that one too!

Haha, seen it. I need to read more. If I ever get down to it I will. Do you have an Aim account? I suggest getting one. Good means of communicating outside of TLN. Which I would be down to add you to my list, mang.

mrkillboy
04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
I don't have it wrote yet. Will soon though.

ScottySunHands
04-20-2011, 12:13 AM

Cool, Aim me and let me know.

americanbash
04-20-2011, 02:26 AM
I personally love all of the newer star wars books and my favorite series I follow right now is the Dresden Files from Jim Butcher. It is basically a mature harry potter, its awesome.

xMortyZx
04-26-2011, 01:17 PM
I believe there was a post/thread about this book earlier.

"Game Boys" -by Michael Kane

About CPL and Counter-strike. Excellent read and a good insider look about how the e-sports community functions behind the scenes.

D Moralize
04-27-2011, 02:51 PM
I really want to get an E-reader, can you find most any book on there or is it only popular books available?

Dust
04-27-2011, 02:55 PM
The Fall of Reach
Enders Game

/Idontreadmuch

xMortyZx
04-27-2011, 04:06 PM
I really want to get an E-reader, can you find most any book on there or is it only popular books available?

I would recommend the Amazon Kindle bro. Amazon has 800,000 books for purchase and you can usually buy them for 50% or more off. I'm not sure how the E-reader works but the kindle has 3g and wireless capabilities (depending on which one you buy) allowing you to purchase on the go or from your amazon account which will send them directly to your kindle. The kindle's electronic ink function is easy on the eyes and lets you read in direct sunlight. A great purchase!

MichaelMongrel
04-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Kinda surprised The Passage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passage_(2010_novel)) still isn't at the top. This book is too good... if you like epic mega-turn-you-into-a-blood-thirsty-creature-virus thrillers.

Gruntly
04-27-2011, 09:40 PM

I have a Kindle. It's really nice to have all your books in one place, but it's just not the same as actually having the book in your hands (I know, weird). Most of the books you will want will be on the Kindle store, but some you may have to 'get' from a third party and use a program called Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). It lets you convert files to the correct format for use on the Kindle.

Gruntly
05-09-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm about half way through Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It's really good if you like satires, or war historical fiction (if that's a genre). It's really funny in it's own sardonic way...lol. Definitely should check it out!

D Moralize
05-11-2011, 03:16 PM
I have a Kindle. It's really nice to have all your books in one place, but it's just not the same as actually having the book in your hands (I know, weird). Most of the books you will want will be on the Kindle store, but some you may have to 'get' from a third party and use a program called Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). It lets you convert files to the correct format for use on the Kindle.

A former roomate of mine had one and I borrowed it to read the first hunger games, I agree its not the exact same as a book but I actually enjoyed it, I felt like like I read it faster without having to turn the pages too. The biggest problem is I live in a town to small for a bookstore (except a religious one) and out library hasnt had any funding for new books for a couple of years now, and when I want to read its an impulse I hate having to wait for the books to be shipped in, so an e-reader seems like the best solution for me.

xMortyZx
05-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Just finished Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. Amazing...Absolutely nothing like the movie. A must read!

itzcritty
05-13-2011, 09:39 AM
The Golden compass books, The Inheritance Cycle. Enders game is good. Many more but i'll have to think

Inheritance Cycle is AMAZING!!! when does the 4th come out do you know??

OT: Also The Bartholomew trilogy is pretty good but its been awhile since I read so these were all book I enjoied years ago
Redwall series by Brian Jacques
Hunger games was alright but I found alot of grammatical errors in it and that kind of distracted me from enjoing it as much but overall pretty good series.

EDIT: Also Heir Apparent is a book about someone who is stuck in a video games and has to play with a limited number of lives...pretty cool and I feel like alot of people from this forum would like it.

I love all of these!!!...besides HP lol

I would actually like to take a look at it too...Havnt ever read a zombie book and kinda curious to see what it would be like

Gruntly
05-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Redwall series by Brian Jacques

Wow, haven't read those since I was like 10. Definitely a good series. I stopped like half way through...gonna have to finish those sometime next year. Thanks for the reminder.

MichaelMongrel
05-20-2011, 11:48 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/blogs/livefeed/2008/11/11/game.jpg