PDA

View Full Version : Debate Discussion #1

Xzwolf
04-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Debate Discussion #1

Hey TLN community, from now on there will be a debate topic every Wednesday from your one and only, Xzwolf! :)

Rules
- First of all, this is for fun and to hear new thoughts/ideas with the use of our intelligence so don't hate, plain and simple.
-Respect others' arguments. Avoid the use of immature language (Ex: "You're stupid")
-Pick ONE side and state your arguments/counterarguments to each other
-Try not to repeat the same arguments as your other fellow members
- Enjoy :)

**UPDATE**
By popular demand, the debate topic will be over education this week:

"Can the use of school uniforms improve a learning environment?"

Also there will be a riddle every Wednesday to add a little fun and to see if you guys can solve it :P

"A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

The first person to answer the riddle will be the winner and their name will be announced to the community!

WINNER!!

Ecks Nine, Congratulations on figuring out the riddle!! ..smart boy :)

Answer
The woman was a photographer. She shot a picture of her husband, developed it, and hung it up to dry.

mrkillboy
04-13-2011, 09:14 AM
You're stupid* Nice incorrect example. Let's debate how bad the eduction system is.

Xzwolf
04-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Post like this

Side: [State what side you picked]
[And then explain your reason for picking that side]

Dust
04-13-2011, 09:19 AM
The woman is a photographer. done.

also Science

i'd suggest a different topic than religion though, education is a good one.

Letthe
04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
First cut education!

Zilla
04-13-2011, 09:47 AM
religion is doomed to start an argument. lets just stay away from that one.

ZeroCool
04-13-2011, 09:59 AM

i agree...of all the topics to pick from you pick the one that 1) has nothing to do with gaming 2) is "doomed" to start arguments probably heated ones. 3) is a just plain lazy discussion topic.

I think something like who do you think is the best halo duo is...or even best duo in sports in general.

ps....
i'm not trying to hate on Xzwolf just his discussion topic however i do like the idea of a weekly discussion topic
-----------
possibly in before the lock :)

mrkillboy
04-13-2011, 10:04 AM

Word....

MrChaosTheory
04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
I think a discussion about religion is usually pointless as it would end up in an argument, but here where the rules state it is a debate, it shouldn't.

I think it is a good idea to keep it separated from the conventual topics centred around gaming, they are usually pretty generic and boring. Any unique and exciting topics about gaming are welcomed in my eye's.

As no-one seems to be responding to the topic, is there any point I should...?

mrkillboy
04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
No one is home right now. Most people here are under 18, and still in school.

Antidote
04-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Can we debate whether or not the thread is a good idea?

darkon124
04-13-2011, 12:00 PM
ecks nine rocked the riddlee!!!

Waterboy7
04-13-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't think there is a reason to be rude from the get go. No wonder we're loosing members due to immaturity. If you don't like the idea, then move onto the next. No need to flame the poor guy on his idea. At least he is attempting to interact with the community by putting effort and making it a weekly thing. Lay off him Killboy, I am starting to see why your constantly having to apologize to this community for your childish post.

OT: Growing up Catholic was something I never questioned, but getting older and doing research on my own, always made me question a million things. So I guess you could say I am a Catholic that does not practice it that much. I do believe in the vast amount of knowledge science has offered humanity, and known facts that have contribute to my own questioning of a super and higher power.

As for your riddle... I had no clue, but believe some one may have got it already. Photographer ?

mrkillboy
04-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Lay off him Killboy, I am starting to see why your constantly having to apologize to this community for your childish post.

I didn't say anything to him out of the way. Hop off, guy. I was just correcting him, and pointing out that our education system lacks, and he is an example.

It's awful how people don't know the difference between; its and it's. You're and your. There, their, and they're. Then and than. Two, too, and to. Along with punctuation and capitalization. Using punctuation and capitalization helps determine if you're; Helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse. Rather than, helping your Uncle jack off a horse.

If people just knew homonyms.

The grammar of some people from America and other countries who's primary language is English, makes them look horrible.

I think the topic of education and how horrible it is was a better idea, that religion. Because, religion will end up in a horrible flame war/argument. Other things will, but not as bad as religion.

Don't make me pull a BOSS NASTi and educate you. :]

Gruntly
04-13-2011, 01:06 PM
i agree...of all the topics to pick from you pick the one that 1) has nothing to do with gaming 2) is "doomed" to start arguments probably heated ones. 3) is a just plain lazy discussion topic.

I think something like who do you think is the best halo duo is...or even best duo in sports in general.

ps....
i'm not trying to hate on Xzwolf just his discussion topic however i do like the idea of a weekly discussion topic
-----------

I agree with you on not having religion as a discussion to start off with. But, this is in the offtopic discussion, so I think it should have nothing to do with gaming.

--------------------------------------------

OT: Give us a new riddle! That one was too easy. And a new topic, as everyone and myself are'nt going to discuss the one given. :P

Xzwolf
04-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I have updated the debate topic guys!

ecks nine rocked the riddlee!!!
hahah yes he did.

I don't think there is a reason to be rude from the get go. No wonder we're loosing members due to immaturity. If you don't like the idea, then move onto the next. No need to flame the poor guy on his idea. At least he is attempting to interact with the community by putting effort and making it a weekly thing. Lay off him Killboy, I am starting to see why your constantly having to apologize to this community for your childish post.

OT: Growing up Catholic was something I never questioned, but getting older and doing research on my own, always made me question a million things. So I guess you could say I am a Catholic that does not practice it that much. I do believe in the vast amount of knowledge science has offered humanity, and known facts that have contribute to my own questioning of a super and higher power.

As for your riddle... I had no clue, but believe some one may have got it already. Photographer ?
Thanks for supporting for me bro! I appreciate it :)

ps....
-----------
Now now my friend, I didn't say anything about my debate thread to be only dealing with gaming.

mrkillboy
04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I think it's a good idea. I just think we should have a discussion about the education system.

D Moralize
04-13-2011, 05:16 PM
No one is home right now. Most people here are under 18, and still in school.

Or over 18 and in college or at work. Luckily for me I can browse from work sometimes.

OT: I will try to post more when I get off but basically I think in some instances uniforms can help, but not because they are magic, it only prevents certain disruptions and if you have a very unruly class its unlikely to make a difference

PK Toolboxxx
04-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I think it's a good idea. I just think we should have a discussion about the education system.

im actually ok with a discussion about this....

mrkillboy
04-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Awesome.

mrkillboy
04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Too bad this failed. :[