Welcome to the The LAN Network Forum.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Martian LANhunter

What is your most controversial opinion?

idea from http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...rsial_opinion/

Intelligent discussions only, as these topics will very likely be disagreed upon. You may state why you disagree with them but bashing will not be tolerated and I will ask for this thread to be closed if it gets out of control.

I mean the kind of opinion that you strongly believe, but have to keep to yourself or risk being ostracized.

Mine is: I don't support the troops, which is dynamite where I'm from. It's not a case of opposing the war but supporting the soldiers, I believe that anyone who has joined the army has volunteered themselves to invade and occupy an innocent country, and is nothing more than a paid murderer. I get sickened by the charities and collections to help the 'heroes' - I can't give sympathy when an occupying soldier is shot by a person defending their own nation.

I'd get physically attacked at some point if I said this out loud, but I believe it all the same.
    I may post another but a big thing I often don't mention in everyday conversations is not believing in god. I never tell people not to believe in him or tell them they are stupid for believing in a higher power, but I don't believe it exists. Being Mexican, I grew up in the catholic faith. As a kid, I pretty much went to church every Sunday did my first communion and everything. But I always loathed going. My family eventually stopped going regularly after my parents divorced. So into my teenage years I didn't really go to church, but the foundation was there and I still believed. There wasn't a reason not to, everyone I knew accepted it as truth without hesitation, almost like math. Then I started to question certain aspect, which I won't get into. But eventually I had so many questions that it outweighed the religion that I had learned. I get weird looks and nasty comments sometimes when people find out I'm an atheist. I've had people tell me I'm going to hell because I don't believe there is a god. So I usually keep it to myself unless I am asked. Whenever my family gets together we always do a big prayer and I don't make a scene or anything I just go along with it for the most part.
    GT: Dust Tri
    Centex --- Dust - Triggxr - Saiyxn - Quixsilvxr

LANimal

Original
    Dude awesome thread idea. I'm about to go to class right now, but I'll edit this post later with my opinion.

Edit: Most of the stuff I don't agree with have to do with how ritualistic our society is sometimes. For example Burial is still the most prevalent way to dispose of bodies. As much as we talk about conserving our resources we still take up countless acres of land with putting dead bodies in them.

Edit: I have some time before class so I'll put down that really any opinion I have is considered controversial where I live. I live in the south, the deep south, which don't get me wrong has some positive aspects. I won't generalize the south by saying this is true everywhere, because I haven't been to many other places in the south, but I did use to spend my summers and winters in Peoria and Boston with my grandparents, so that is really my basis for comparison. The problem with living where I do in the south is the anti-intellectual stance that nearly all people have here. The focus of nearly all studies that do occur where I live, whether in a college or high school, focuses heavily on a pragmatist view point of the practicality of knowledge. This focus leads to a discouragement of independent thought. Ritualism is also very prevalent where I live currently, in the sense that the status quo is the perfect way to accomplish things; which by all means is not in a lot of cases.
    Last edited by wookiemanx; 01-25-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    Gamertag: Wookieemanx

FB's TRUE #1 FAN.

LANce Armstrong

I believe that all welfare should be abolished. I also believe that the entire Westboro Baptist Church should be lined up and shot.

Photobucket
    AotM
    I think literacy tests and population control are good ideas that were implemented badly, Literacy tests were used unfairly to prevent literate black people from voting but I think in this day and age we should have to take a test proving we understand basic government before we are allowed to decide who runs it.I dont think we should have a 1 child policy like china or anything, just try to promote smaller families and adoption more, it makes me sad that people want to have 6 kids of their own when children just looking for someone to care for them are dying every day.

Bruce LANner

IDK somethings should not be brought up in the manner like this. I'm talking about the military of course. I understand you have your views, thats great because thats the beauty of being a American and a young one at that learning to voice it can be controversial at sometimes. I honestly think you really have the grasp of how things really are in the military. We are a brotherhood, a family, better yet a community. We take care of our family members and others around us. I known a few that have fallen, my father has many that have fallen (Vietnam), a great uncle died in WW2. Might be a family of tradition and values, and you maybe right in your view on the current war. All I am saying is military discussions, in this manner are almost as bad as the group forefront called out. I have respect for everyone in this community and ALL military members in TLN. I am proud to say I love every member in the armed forces as if they are my family. this post is not bashing, its just my view when and how things should be said aloud.

Much respect
    -N!TRO

GT -NlTROOO

Photobucket
    AotM
    Quote Originally Posted by N!TRO View Post
    IDK somethings should not be brought up in the manner like this. I'm talking about the military of course. I understand you have your views, thats great because thats the beauty of being a American and a young one at that learning to voice it can be controversial at sometimes. I honestly think you really have the grasp of how things really are in the military. We are a brotherhood, a family, better yet a community. We take care of our family members and others around us. I known a few that have fallen, my father has many that have fallen (Vietnam), a great uncle died in WW2. Might be a family of tradition and values, and you maybe right in your view on the current war. All I am saying is military discussions, in this manner are almost as bad as the group forefront called out. I have respect for everyone in this community and ALL military members in TLN. I am proud to say I love every member in the armed forces as if they are my family. this post is not bashing, its just my view when and how things should be said aloud.

Much respect
    -N!TRO
    I think your supposed to say I don't agree with what your saying but I will protect your right to save it with my life, lol. Seriously on the military issue I can see both sides, it depends on the way you think, personally I couldnt join because you are sacrificing your ability to act on your sense of right and wrong for the greater good (hopefully)I wouldnt ever want to be told to kill someone without being sure they deserve it and possibly be in a situation where I know the people dont deserve it. At the same time some of my best friends and the people I respect most are in the military, because what I see as giving away my ability to make judgment calls in my life they see as becoming a martyr for the sake of protecting our county, and are willing to do whatever it takes. I think both views are valid and it really just depends person to person.

TLN Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by forefront View Post
    I believe that all welfare should be abolished. I also believe that the entire Westboro Baptist Church should be lined up and shot.
    If you need me to scope out that place and help plan this, let me know. (I'm from Topeka, KS)... Jk.

On Topic:
    - I believe the theory of Evolution as widely believed is incorrect.
    - I am pro-life.
    - I am for legalizing marijuana (but putting an age on it, like 18).
    - I believe elderly people should have to take another driving test at a certain age. A test that is made to make sure they can still see everything that you need to see when you are driving.
    - I extremely dislike feminists.... errrr, let me rephrase that. I extremely dislike feminists who act like women need MORE power than men. Equality is fine, but pushing it further than that is wrong.
    - I believe the Commander in Chief shouldn't be criticized for sending troops to go help rebuild countries in need.
    Last edited by MichaelMongrel; 01-25-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    My name is Tim... Michael is my middle name.
    GT: MonGReLiTy
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Healing_X_Cuts/Boston_Red_Sox_logo.jpg
    Still blazin, still blazin, still blazin.
    Cause ganja power its so amazin.

I think Canadians won the war of 1812.

Get at me

The LANhammer

Astro Gaming
    I don't support the troops because I don't support the US government. I think they are in places for the wrong reasons and war, in general, is wrong. There is no reason our soldiers should be dying in the middle east and there never was. That being said it was the soldiers choice to go into the military, whether they sincerely enjoy it or they did it for the money does not matter to me.

I also don't know how religion is still such a taboo topic in this day and age. People should be allowed to openly question religion without getting dirty looks or blacklisted from places, because, let's face it, there are some gaping holes in religion. I also think there are many more religious extremists than atheist extremists and the world would probably be infinitely better if there was no religion and everyone spoke the same language.

Astro Gaming
    People should not be allowed children unless they can prove they have means to support them. A big problem in the UK is young teens getting pregnant so they can live of the state.

Religion should not be taught in schools.

Thats about it.