Welcome to the The LAN Network Forum.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Green LANtern

Elitists - What is Not Desired

Well, I'm always in the MLG forums as most of you know (mainly the Reach Discussion thread), and I realized something that I never want to see happen in this community. This 'something' is an 'elitist'. Basically, an elitist is someone that talks down to people and isn't afraid to do so simply because of their popularity or respect in the community. They know everyone in the community is 'scared' of them because of either their join date, rep, number of posts, or other things. They think they're the 'royalty' of the forums and so, they take advantage of the respect they have gained. This introduces an unfriendly and unfair atmosphere, which will not be tolerated.

So, what I ask every one of you, is to carefully comprehend and think about what each member is saying. Do not look at a name and simply disregard the post or look at it as stupid because the name has a bad rep in the community, or because they're a 'new kid'. Because a lot of the time, the person has a bad rep for wrong reasons. For example, simply because they're a fan of a team or certain players that a majority of the community isn't fond of. That's not a good reason at all to look down upon someone. Also, you'll find that a lot of the 'new kids' bring a lot to the table. They bring new ideas and different angles to approach things.

Also, this applies to the opposite people. I don't want you to look at a post and automatically glorify that post because you see that a moderator or respected member posted it. Because we also make mistakes. We're not always right. We may say stupid things at times.

I want you to read and understand posts with an unbiased view towards the person posting. This way your view isn't fogged/blinded by your attitude towards the person posting.

It all comes down to attitude and judgment.

Let's keep it fair, calm, and fun.
    Roybox's #1 fan. FB's #1 fan.
    I asked for this team for weeks. Dreams do come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Imp3nded View Post
    Well, I'm always in the MLG forums as most of you know (mainly the Reach Discussion thread), and I realized something that I never want to see happen in this community. This 'something' is an 'elitist'. Basically, an elitist is someone that talks down to people and isn't afraid to do so simply because of their popularity or respect in the community. They know everyone in the community is 'scared' of them because of either their join date, rep, number of posts, or other things. They think they're the 'royalty' of the forums and so, they take advantage of the respect they have gained. This introduces an unfriendly and unfair atmosphere, which will not be tolerated.

So, what I ask every one of you, is to carefully comprehend and think about what each member is saying. Do not look at a name and simply disregard the post or look at it as stupid because the name has a bad rep in the community, or because they're a 'new kid'. Because a lot of the time, the person has a bad rep for wrong reasons. For example, simply because they're a fan of a team or certain players that a majority of the community isn't fond of. That's not a good reason at all to look down upon someone. Also, you'll find that a lot of the 'new kids' bring a lot to the table. They bring new ideas and different angles to approach things.

Also, this applies to the opposite people. I don't want you to look at a post and automatically glorify that post because you see that a moderator or respected member posted it. Because we also make mistakes. We're not always right. We may say stupid things at times.

I want you to read and understand posts with an unbiased view towards the person posting. This way your view isn't fogged/blinded by your attitude towards the person posting.

It all comes down to attitude and judgment.

Let's keep it fair, calm, and fun.
    I agree with this but i posted something just like this :P

Green LANtern

I'm aware. I just gave a more specific example with more explanation of what is not wanted. Your thread is all about respecting the new member that will come in, and to treat them with respect. This is more about how not to judge a post by the person posting, but by the quality of the post itself.

Imagine taking the names off of everyone's posts. Especially in the MLG forums... things would be so much more different. You would see people criticizing posts by people that you'd never imagine to get criticized. Lol, that sentence sounds broken...
    Roybox's #1 fan. FB's #1 fan.
    I asked for this team for weeks. Dreams do come true.

LAN Fan

Original
    hopefully people follow this in order to keep these forums great...awesome post dude

Final Boss/ 3D/ STK fan since 2005
    Ogre 2 the GOAT
    Pistola is the best in the game
    Texas A&M University in the greatest school in the World

Quote Originally Posted by Imp3nded View Post
    I'm aware. I just gave a more specific example with more explanation of what is not wanted. Your thread is all about respecting the new member that will come in, and to treat them with respect. This is more about how not to judge a post by the person posting, but by the quality of the post itself.

Imagine taking the names off of everyone's posts. Especially in the MLG forums... things would be so much more different. You would see people criticizing posts by people that you'd never imagine to get criticized. Lol, that sentence sounds broken...
    I get what your saying and i didn't mean for my post to come off wrong i it did but yeah good post and keep those elitist out!

Content Team

Original
    We have a really good thing going on the TLN forums right now. I have yet to see any of the insults, sarcasm, and other assorted insanity that is so prevalent on other forums. It's up to us to keep that atmosphere going. New members will see that the common thread on these forums is intelligent and respectful discussion and continue that trend. As soon as we allow nonsense to become acceptable, this place will become a lot less fun for everyone involved.

Now, about fixing that RRoD... Grr. Anger.
    Write that down.
    GT: TLN irvnasty

Peon

Original
    Yeah, these forums are great so far, let's try to keep it this way.
    GT: ClaarK

Sir LANs-a-lot

Original
    Astro Gaming
    I agree, we will keep this right if anyone see's problems or potential issues please do your job as a moderator and if there are other problems still there contact Peridious or I. Thanks guys I LOVE THIS PLACE !!

lawl...

I think i know just who you're talking about imp...

Side note: come to my LAN... Lawrenceville isn't that far...

Crawler

The moral of this story kids, is that don't make it turn into the MLG forums. I honestly don't know how much neg rep I have gotten for trying to help people out and some wanna-be 'pro' goes "you don't know what your talking out noob" or "GTFO".

Keep it real TLN community, your the best!