Welcome to the The LAN Network Forum.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderating

Peon

Moderating

Quote Originally Posted by I RiF I View Post
    I enjoyed the article very much. H3 on the other hand, was the most frustrating game of all-time and I have to respectfully disagree with Impended about being upset with this being Bungies last Halo game. I feel that Bungie sold out with H3 and totally 100% catered to the casual gamer instead of the fans that have been with them from the beginning. Some concessions should be made but not the entire game. Thats what Bungie did with H3, they lessened the skill gap entirely too much for my liking. I am very pleased they don't get to make halo anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imp3nded View Post
    And that's why they're fixing things in Halo Reach. However, this is not the thread for that topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by heuer89 View Post
    Agreed. Please stay on topic Rif. Thank you Impended.

OT: Theater was so awesome. Maybe we'll be able to send it off with some more customs this weekend / Monday? If you'd like to play customs be sure to post in the Halo 3 Customs thread.

I understand this is my first post here, but I read this forum a lot while at work and enjoy the community quite a bit. The reason I started this thread, is to keep the original thread these comments were posted in from turning into a complete off topic discussion. Don't get me wrong this forum is great, but one downfall I see is some of the moderating. I can understand taking your job seriously, but this kind of over moderating can make people feel uneasy about posting.

We can all agree we don't want this to turn into the MLG forums, but was what RIF posted really that bad? He started off complementing the author and offering his own farewell to H3. I sense no hostility in his post, or in anyway trying to attack anyone, just a respectful disagreement.

Please understand I don't mean any disrespect by this post, but maybe a little less moderating would be better for the sake of having a forum where people aren't afraid to share their thoughts. And in general a fun community where people don't feel belittled.
    Last edited by KFred; 09-12-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Astro Gaming
    I wouldn't consider that over moderating. As far as im aware, no one in that thread has had a post deleted and no one has been warned about it. I think Impended and Heuer were doing their job and trying to keep people on the right subject matter for the thread.

I dont know about you, but i cant stand going into a thread and half way through having people start chatting about something completley unrelated to anything else that seems to be going on.

Sir LANs-a-lot

Fantasy Camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Araneatrox View Post
    I wouldn't consider that over moderating. As far as im aware, no one in that thread has had a post deleted and no one has been warned about it. I think Impended and Heuer were doing their job and trying to keep people on the right subject matter for the thread.

I dont know about you, but i cant stand going into a thread and half way through having people start chatting about something completley unrelated to anything else that seems to be going on.
    I think more or less that what was said in the specific example KFred posted was more or less redundant. A moderator thanking another moderator and then posting something off topic is in itself off topic too and can come off as 2 friends cornering another user, make sense? Right now this forum is still small with not too many active users (most of the highly active users with more posts are moderators) so if new users browse through multiple threads and see that the mods act as such it may ward them off from posting something even if is worth posting.

I just don't want to see the moderators themselves get TOO intense with their judgement. No offense to all my mod friendzzz
    Current GT(s):
    das ITCHY

LANce Armstrong

I initially thought the same thing. However, the fact of the matter is that there was no moderating done at all. Nothing was deleted, and I don't even think that was a warning. However, as a mod, I will take this thread to heart. One thing that we don't want is some kind of moderator clique. That would defeat the whole image of this site. Thank you for your feedback KFred, and I hope that anyone else who sees something like this will let us know.

Administrator

High Score
    Astro Gaming
    Admin
    Hey KFred first off I'd like to thank you for your feedback and for keeping the other thread on topic by separating this out.

The reason that I stated that this was off topic is because I felt that the only part thread related in the post was
    Quote Originally Posted by I RiF I View Post
    I enjoyed the article very much.
    while the rest of the comments in the post were about bashing Halo 3. Opinions like that can be made in the thread dedicated to Halo 3 here. If you do post something off topic in a thread it is appreciated if you separate the on / off topic posts and make note of which is which to avoid it getting too off topic.

I really don't understand how people would be afraid to share their thoughts in a forum that is actually moderated without flaming. It has been stated by other users in various threads in this forum that they don't like to post in the MLG forums because of all the hostility there. If any user feels belittled at all I would hope that they at least try and talk to someone that would in turn get a hold of the other person to talk about it.

----

In general if any user has questions about anything whether it be a post, a feature of the site, etc I offer them to contact me via private message even if it is about one of my posts.

--Heuer
    Forum Administrator | Online Tournament Manager

Have any questions about the site? Feel free to contact me via [B][U][URL="http://thelannetwork.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=467"]PM[/URL][/U][/B] | [B][U][URL="http://twitter.com/HisforHOYR"]Twitter[/URL][/U][/B] | [B][U][email="jh@thelannetwork.com"]Email[/email][/U][/B]

[B][U][URL="http://thelannetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?16"]Feedback? Suggestions?[/URL][/U][/B] | [B][U][URL="http://thelannetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?17"]Find a problem with the site?[/URL][/U][/B].

Green LANtern

I stated this because that topic he brought up starts a flame war. That is actually the only time I've had to tell someone to stay on topic, and I did it for good reason. People are strongly opinionated about the topic he brought up. You will not be able to find another post from me saying something like this. However, this is mainly because there's nothing really to moderate. I believe I've closed a thread and said this statement you quoted. That's about it.

Did another mod need to come in and say the same thing? No. That I did not agree with.

Also, this is probably a topic that you would want to send as a private message to whichever mod you're having an issue with.

Sure, I'll allow a post or two go a little off topic, as long as it gets back on topic, and as long as what they're discussing isn't rude, profane, or explicit. I have no control over what fellow moderators do. If they choose to do something, it's probably for good reason.

My Stickied Thread - This thread is all about how I don't want people 'abusing' their power/status/reputation or whatever you want to call it (Yes, I even mention moderators in there). I particularly hate it actually, and I make sure I don't act this way in here.

EDIT: I also made the statement to him because of the way he worded what he said. It was rather harsh, and was stated in the kind of tone that would spark rage from someone with a different view-point.

I understand my position in the community. I love this community, and only want to see it thrive. I may not enforce things a lot (like twice), but if I do, it's for a good reason.
    Last edited by Imp3nded; 09-13-2010 at 12:47 AM.
    Roybox's #1 fan. FB's #1 fan.
    I asked for this team for weeks. Dreams do come true.

Impended.... moderator....???? lololol

LAN Helsing

Original
    Will Premium Memberships access to the forums be removed? How much power do Moderators really have on these Forums? Will it come down to removing memberships? I am not trying to offend anyone, but want an explanation to some of these questions.

Thank you - Waterboy
    Lol, we can not do this. I wouldn't even feel comfortable taking away someone's membership that they're paying for. That's a job for the admins, and I'm assuming it'd be under extreme circumstances.
    Last edited by Imp3nded; 09-13-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Accidental edit... :/
    UNSC Waterboy
    “Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”-- Bruce Lee

Green LANtern

Oh my god. I clicked edit post instead of 'Reply With Quote'. Are you kidding? I apologize Waterboy. If you can repost what you said, please do so. I'll repost my reply (that I accidentally edited your post with) here.

Will Premium Memberships access to the forums be removed? How much power do Moderators really have on these Forums? Will it come down to removing memberships? I am not trying to offend anyone, but want an explanation to some of these questions.

Thank you - Waterboy
    Lol, we can not do this. I wouldn't even feel comfortable taking away someone's membership that they're paying for. That's a job for the admins, and I'm assuming it'd be under extreme circumstances.
    Last edited by Imp3nded; 09-13-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    Roybox's #1 fan. FB's #1 fan.
    I asked for this team for weeks. Dreams do come true.

Wow this thread is kind of intense put since this is a public forum I'm going to state my opinion on the matter.
    I think that the "You seem to be walking a fine line" statement could come off wrong but from what I've seen nothing has gotten out of hand with the Mods. They do their jobs very well and keep everything running smoothly. Even when I get off-topic (tends to happen quite a bit ) the mods will explain to me that I am and we continue with what ever the main topic was. Now after a few times of realizing this I have stopped posting off-topic for the most part, and if I do I state that the next thing I will be saying is off-topic . Anyways what I am trying to say is I think that yes maybe the others in the DMR thread should of been warned privately but the mods here are great and they are doing a great job