Welcome to the The LAN Network Forum.
  • Login:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Jean-Claude LAN Damme

Original
    There are so many Pros and Cons for legalizing it. I think the affects of the drug cartels in mexico are having a major impact on the legalization process, even though I dont think that would affect whats going on one bit. Im neither for it or against it I just think that you are responsible for what you put in your body, not the government. You can go buy a 2$ bottle of tylenol and ingest it all and you'll die, but with the whole legalizing is just so more political than most people realize.

LANce Armstrong

I dont smoke either so doesn't matter to me:P

Sir LANs-a-lot

Astro Gaming
    1st law of Marijuana was to produce it (for the hemp) The government then made it illegal because they were racist, believe it or not, and thought it made African-Americans step on white guys shadows, this was frowned upon back then. A quote from one of the previous legislators “Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.” Then during WW1 or WW2 they legalized the growing of HEMP, not marijuana. For the base fact of rope and so forth. After the war it was back to the depths of the streets. So thats the history, but is it bad for you? I wouldn't say bad, but it does have negative effects. The one thing you have to look at is the fact that NO ONE has ever gotten lung cancer from just smoking pot, NO ONE as ever died from weed, and NO ONE as lost there mind smoking it. The last thing i wanna post is that it is a mental addiction and not a physical, which means that it is 10x easier to quit. Yes marijuana has the most young people in rehab for it, but its because the judge gives them the opinion of rehab or jail. You pick which one you want to go to.

P.s I am not a racist just pointing out facts of yester-year
    "I have a Twinkie stuck in my throat." -Havk1nKn1ght

"I want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world"-Havk1nKn1ght

http://thelannetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?2019
    ^^^^^^^^^THE FML Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Martian LANhunter

http://www.absolutedespotism.com/sto...rent-about-you

The Government outlawed all the legit crimes (like robbery and non-consensual fisting) a long time ago, so why the fuck are they still passing laws?... Well, because most laws aren't about you, they're about paying off campaign contributors. When those contributors happen to be gigantic companies, the “pay off laws” are usually designed to protect them from competition. Successful companies obviously don't want to compete, they hate the free market. It's the little guy, the small businessman who needs a free market.

Example: Marijuana's probably bad for you, but so is shoving pine cones up your ass. The reason marijuana’s illegal and pine cones aren't, is because you can't use pine cones to make paper... But in the 1930’s a new machine called a “decorticator” made it profitable to produce paper from hemp. So profitable that Popular Mechanics called hemp the “New Billion-Dollar Crop” and reported "10,000 acres devoted to hemp will produce as much paper as 40,000 acres of average [forest] pulp land." Well a lot of people, including newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst, owned a shit load of timberland, and because people don't like it when new technology comes along and fucks up their business, Hearst started calling hemp marijuana, and launched a newspaper campaign to ban his competition. It worked, and even though the American Medical Association was against banning marijuana (seriously), in 1937 it was outlawed. (Sounds a lot like GE, NBC, "Green Week", and the incandescent light bulb doesn't it?)

So thanks to people like Hearst, marijuana was outlawed to prevent competition from hemp. Naturally, marijuana growers just moved their crops inside to hide them from the Government. However, there's a reason why you don't grow plants inside, you need artificial light, and a lot of it. That requires a shit-load of electricity. How much? Well this week a study by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory found that 1% of all the electricity used in America goes to power the lights used for growing marijuana indoors. Thanks to the Government, your paper costs more, your electricity costs more, and your taxes are higher (to fund the “War on Hemp Paper”)

Goddamnit... illegal does not mean "unavailable." Illegal doesn't mean "doesn't happen". Illegal doesn't mean "The world will now be the way we wish it were". That kind of naive thinking is perpetually getting us fucked-over by politicians who are just trying to pass laws that benefit their contributors. Making X illegal is simply a threat, "If you do X, the Government will come to your house, kick your door in, and drag you off to prison." There's no magic involved, all the rules of the universe still fucking apply. So from now on, every time a law’s proposed in Congress, ask yourself "Who's the 'Hearst' for this law? Who’s this law paying off?"
    hehe^

but seriously I believe this 100%

greed = the reason for a lot of shit in this country
    GT: Dust Tri
    Centex --- Dust - Triggxr - Saiyxn - Quixsilvxr

I <3 TLN

Quote Originally Posted by Ecks Nine View Post
    as far as I know, no one has been hospitalized due to marijuana overdose
    There have been a few. Most of the time though it's because they have a mental addiction to it and already have health problems. I've also heard of cases in which it lowers your immune system with certain people (not sure if that's a fact).

My opinion though is the whole "it's bad for you so it should be illegal" argument is BS. If it is going to be illegal for that reason then alcohol and smoking anything should be illegal. Until that happens then I believe it should be legalized and we should be making money off of it at the least.

I don't smoke simply because I don't find the joy in losing my motor skills for a period of time. That's just my opinion though.

GT: Antidote4Life
    SC2: Antidote.775
    LoL: Antidote4Life

http://twitter.com/#!/Antidote4Life

Sc2 & LoL Stream: http://justin.tv/antidote4life

Sir LANs-a-lot

Fantasy Camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecks Nine View Post
    http://www.absolutedespotism.com/sto...rent-about-you

hehe^

but seriously I believe this 100%

greed = the reason for a lot of shit in this country
    I'll agree with this statement and the quote its referencing.
    Current GT(s):
    das ITCHY

i smoke and ... yea it should be legalized. there are so many other substances that are legalized and regulated that are worse for you, so...

but in my opinion it won't ever get legalized because authority uses it as a means for bypassing a lot of constitutional rights people have when making arrests. for example, they pull you over and want to search your vehicle without a warrant? all they have to do is say they smelled marijuana...

would be a beautiful day when i could grow a few plants in my backyard for personal use. a beautiful day.

let's not even get started on how detrimental the drug war is to our society, how expensive it is, how it sends hundreds of thousands of non-violent offenders to prison, and how keeping marijuana on the black market is worse than just legalizing and taxing it.
    GT: zig8 nyc

Content Team

Quote Originally Posted by Sinstar94 View Post
    I don't think relatively small amount of money the Government would take in off of taxing would make a big difference in the deficit. Ultimately, we're talking about trillions of dollars and taxing pot would not generate enough revenue to outweigh the medical cons. Then if you legalize marijuana and tax it, you'd have drug addicts seeking for more dangerous drugs to be legalized. And don't give me that "They'll do it anyway so you might as well legalize it." bs because by that logic some guy somewhere is going to get hold of gun and kill somebody so should we legalize it because he'll do it anyway?

You may think I'm really conservative after all of that but I'm really not.
    I'm "conservative" most of the time and I agree with most of your facts however I think a side of the issue that should be looked at is will the legalization of pot help with the drug cartel issue. As you clearly point out, the deficit isn't going to be erased by legalizing pot and taxing it, we need a major overhaul to government, removing wasteful spending etc. etc.. However if legalizing pot and possibly other drugs would help to take down the drug cartels that currently run Mexico ( which run through our country causing severe border problems, especially in Arizona ) and the drug lords in America then I'd say I'm for it. I actually wouldn't be able to officially vote for or against it without more extensive research but I do believe that the drug ring problems are something to strongly consider during this type of debate because if legalizing drugs would all but solve this problem then it seems like a small price to pay to lower crime and murder rates.

Weed is less unhealthy than cigarettes, broseph. You are listening to your 5th grade DARE teacher and the typical stereotypes of weed too much. Marijuana has no negative health effects other than overall slowing down of one's body when high and some times loss of short term memory when you are high. The THC in weed acts as an active ingredient against the tar it forms in your lungs. ZERO PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM MARIJUANA. Marijuana in moderation is healthy. Smoking a blunt once a week is health, just like drinking a glass of wine is. The only problem is people who think they are awesome and smoke everyday of the week cause then nothing in society would get done and too many people will be high.
    That's why I think we should legalize weed at age 18 and tax it. However, there should be some way to stop someone from smoking so much that they have no drive to do anything constructive.

Certified Lurk

Astro Gaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgacht View Post
    I'm "conservative" most of the time and I agree with most of your facts however I think a side of the issue that should be looked at is will the legalization of pot help with the drug cartel issue. As you clearly point out, the deficit isn't going to be erased by legalizing pot and taxing it, we need a major overhaul to government, removing wasteful spending etc. etc.. However if legalizing pot and possibly other drugs would help to take down the drug cartels that currently run Mexico ( which run through our country causing severe border problems, especially in Arizona ) and the drug lords in America then I'd say I'm for it. I actually wouldn't be able to officially vote for or against it without more extensive research but I do believe that the drug ring problems are something to strongly consider during this type of debate because if legalizing drugs would all but solve this problem then it seems like a small price to pay to lower crime and murder rates.
    What you said here is basically what I see the problem as. 3 billion dollars is nothing to the government. Have you seen their budget? It's not about the money. The violence associated with drugs like marijuana would be the biggest problem that would be resolved by legalizing it. But marijuana is just one of many many drugs. And if that becomes legalized, there is just going to be another, more deadly drug to replace it. There are a lot of pros and cons to this, it's a very complex argument.
    GT: Morning
    Add me!
    Vote in the Forum Awards!
    My Community Interview!
    Instinct
    Quote Originally Posted by forefront View Post
    Couldn't make me a competitive player with three top pros a bag of adderall and rope to tie up the other team.