Welcome to the The LAN Network Forum.
  • Login:

Thread: Rift

Jean-Claude LAN Damme

Rift

Wow killer or not? It seems cool but too much like WoW.
    LoL Summoner Name = Ant Keyyy HMU

Sir LANs-a-lot

Original
    idk i'd have to play it to see. I play WoW a lot and it does feel a bit to much like that, but id have to see. Have you played it?
    The FIRST TLN MEMBER
    LULZ
    GT- Kuhmero

My Gamertag is the best

The Link below is the link to my First Solo project. Melbourne City

Been Stalking Walshy's Bnet since '07

Jean-Claude LAN Damme

Nope, I've watched videos of it. The only thing that interests me are the skill specialization and the rifts in the sky.
    LoL Summoner Name = Ant Keyyy HMU

Peon

A bunch of friends of mine and I have jumped into the world of rift. It has many similarities to WoW along with other MMOs (like any MMO should if it wants to be successful) and it does a lot of things right. It also maintains some originality in the form of rifts (random events forming in different areas that players can choose to participate in for Planarite (a form of currency for gear and whatnot) among other items.)

It also has a slick tree building system where you pick up to 3 souls (i.e. Paladin, Void Knight, Reaver, Warlord etc) and distribute however many points in whatever soul tree you want. You can also purchase up to 4 roles for any occasion (Tank, DPS, Healing).

It has it's drawbacks though, PvP balancing will always be an issue in any game, but the two main complaints I can identify with personally is the wonky Tab Targeting. I've targeted mobs 20 yards behind me or a dead mob at my feet before I tab target to the mob standing in front of me.

Another would be length of the game. You could easily hit level cap in less then a week if you had enough hours. They do have the expert dungeon system going much like WoW and some raid zones in place for endgame along with a level 50 PvP new leveling system so who knows how much that will occupy players before they start getting bored.

But all in all, I find myself naturally enjoying rift instead of constantly trying to convince myself that I AM enjoying the game *cough* Warhammer, Vangard, Wow etc. *cough*

Is it a wow killer? Probably not, but I know of many WoW players that have come over.

Crawler

Very nice review there...I have not tried it but i have watched some videos on it also...I also feel the same though. I don't think it is a wow killer, but I believe it will have somewhat of an impact on it
    I'll put something here when I actually figure something good out.

Martian LANhunter

Astro Gaming
    it looks cool. but way too similar to get people off wow
    GO GREEN!!!!

GT: CHRIS CR33P | Twitter | Interview with Mr P
    Starcraft Character code: 352 : ChrisCreep : Diamond : Protoss/Zerg

LAN Fan

Guild Wars 2 & SW:The Old Republic = WoW Killers. =)
    GT: Strife Is Back
    Looking for MM, and Customs. Possible team.
    55Mbp/s Down, 10Mbp/s Up
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1857773928.png

The LANhammer

Astro Gaming
    There will never be a WoW killer because none of those players will walk away from what they have turned into their life, for another game that is just being released.
    That being said:

TERA and Diablo 3 have the best shot.

Astro Gaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fries View Post
    There will never be a WoW killer because none of those players will walk away from what they have turned into their life, for another game that is just being released.
    That being said:

TERA and Diablo 3 have the best shot.
    And TBH, Diablo being the wow killer would not be any problems to Blizzard, as they make both games. I would love to see it, but i can't see WoW going down anytime soon.

Certified Lurk

AotM
    Astro Gaming
    i feel that the Only WoW Killer will be WoW. yes sure SW: TOR will get Massive amonts of people but guess what i know my 85 DK and my 85 Rouge and my 85 pally are still waiting in the reserves some where. WoW will die by old age and not Murder lol EQ did the same thing.
    November "AotM" Winner
    "Winner of the MVP Forum Award!"
    "Twitch Stream: www.Twitch.tv/HavkinKnight"
    AD Carry LF Team

"Sic Parvis Magna"

Team TLN: HavkinKnight (LoL/Halo 4/Injustice) Gweedo888 (Injustice)
    Str8 Rippinfan for life!!