Welcome to the The LAN Network Forum.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rep System

Rep System

I would enjoy a reputation system much like that of MLG has or had.

LANce Armstrong

No thank you, Thats one of the reasons why i left the MLG Forums.. People wont post there opinion just cause they have a chance of getting neg rep..

Crawler

Astro Gaming
    I disagree completely.

I think the rep system at MLG should just be removed tbh, it serves no beneficial purpose. All it does is give people who can't be bothered to read and assess posts a way to skip out on doing so and disregard them. Or rather, the current MLG system does this because a post's positive or negative status is visible to all. The old vBulletin system (which is what would be the obvious thing to employ here since TLN is vB too) just did the same thing but with posters instead of posts, with the visible rep bars in postbits.

If you like a post enough to want to award it rep, just say so when replying to the thread, and if you don't have anything else to contribute to the thread which would justify a response in which to include this feedback, just post it as a VM on the user's profile. This is a much better way in terms of actually emphasising the positive, or even negative feedback element of what rep does, since it encourages more active dialogue in response to the feedback and has a greater social element.

Lack of rep is one of the best things, possibly the best thing about the way this site/forum is set up, please don't change it.
    Last edited by Pegasi; 05-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Martian LANhunter

Fantasy Camper
    Astro Gaming
    good idea but ppl might try to manipulate the system or like become way too competitive about such trivial things

The LANhammer

Astro Gaming
    We have a reputation system, it's called Badges. In my opinion, it is much more effective than user-generated reputation.
    P.S. Everything about your name and profile makes me hungry.

<---- Respect.

Martian LANhunter

Astro Gaming
    yeah what joe said
    GO GREEN!!!!

GT: CHRIS CR33P | Twitter | Interview with Mr P
    Starcraft Character code: 352 : ChrisCreep : Diamond : Protoss/Zerg

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fries View Post
    We have a reputation system, it's called Badges. In my opinion, it is much more effective than user-generated reputation.
    how do we get more badges?

LAN Helsing

Original
    I would hate an MLG forum-like rep system. It causes too many trolls.
    Hit me up for anything!

GT: Briimstone
    SCII: Briimstone 484

LAN Fan

rep is stupid

Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasi View Post
    I disagree completely.

I think the rep system at MLG should just be removed tbh, it serves no beneficial purpose. All it does is give people who can't be bothered to read and assess posts a way to skip out on doing so and disregard them. Or rather, the current MLG system does this because a post's positive or negative status is visible to all. The old vBulletin system (which is what would be the obvious thing to employ here since TLN is vB too) just did the same thing but with posters instead of posts, with the visible rep bars in postbits.

If you like a post enough to want to award it rep, just say so when replying to the thread, and if you don't have anything else to contribute to the thread which would justify a response in which to include this feedback, just post it as a VM on the user's profile. This is a much better way in terms of actually emphasising the positive, or even negative feedback element of what rep does, since it encourages more active dialogue in response to the feedback and has a greater social element.

Lack of rep is one of the best things, possibly the best thing about the way this site/forum is set up, please don't change it.
    +reputation