Welcome to the The LAN Network Forum.
  • Login:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LANimal

I believe in the force...

Quote Originally Posted by Jakerdot View Post
    I recently took a class called Liberation Theology in the Bible. This class was about themes or stories in the bible that people find that they can relate to, or feel a sense of liberation from. For instance, one of the liberating themes we discussed pretty thoroughly was freedom from oppression. (I.E. when God uses Moses to help free the Israelites from hundreds of years of slavery and oppression by the hands of the Pharaohs.) There were many interesting points that were brought up regarding this topic, but I was never able to arrive at the conclusion that the story of Moses and the Pharaoh was liberating at all. In fact, further discussion of the topic made me extremely uneasy. I do not see how anyone can overlook the fact that God MASSACRES every first born Egytpian as the final step to make the Pharaoh set the Israelites free. I just don't get it, how can anyone overlook the genocide of innocents? Religion is a complete failure, placing God on some pedestal and not questioning God's judgments or actions. Bible study is damaging to the youth because children are too young to question things like this, especially when they are only told the stories from a perspective that puts God in good light. If there is a God, and we are to assume that God is the most powerful force in the universe, then it is disturbing to think that no other solution to free the Israelites could be found. This isn't the only instance of an irresponsible abuse of power in the bible...anyone remember the story of Noah? (God's thoughts): Well...I fucked up..time to genocide everyone on the planet and start again..but religion doesn't show the story in that light.

Anyways, it's quite obvious that I do not believe in God, but more specifically, I do not believe in worshiping a God who is capable of such actions.

As my final note, I would like to say that I never question anyone's faith. Faith is something immovable, a construct that only the arrogant are capable of questioning. To question someone's faith is wrong, there is no justification for it. So as to what I officially believe? I believe in humanity, that we are capable of sustaining one another through the pureness of heart and selfless action.

Ok ok one more note cuz I'm just flying here...I actually don't understand why I have to choose a label (agnostic, atheist, catholic...w/e) That these labels exist is due to the arrogance of the church that has developed over generations of exposure to the concept of God.
    Y are you attacking God??

Administrator

High Score
    Astro Gaming
    Admin
    I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Forum Administrator | Online Tournament Manager

Have any questions about the site? Feel free to contact me via [B][U][URL="http://thelannetwork.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=467"]PM[/URL][/U][/B] | [B][U][URL="http://twitter.com/HisforHOYR"]Twitter[/URL][/U][/B] | [B][U][email="jh@thelannetwork.com"]Email[/email][/U][/B]

[B][U][URL="http://thelannetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?16"]Feedback? Suggestions?[/URL][/U][/B] | [B][U][URL="http://thelannetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?17"]Find a problem with the site?[/URL][/U][/B].

Quote Originally Posted by DownSide View Post
    Y are you attacking God??
    Please re-read everything I wrote and don't oversimplify it... you completely missed the point.

Astro Gaming
    Quote Originally Posted by heuer89 View Post
    I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster

I used to have the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it was with my Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens books. It went missing when i went to University unfortunately

LANimal

Fantasy Camper
    I believe the following:

1) There are things we don't understand yet.
    2) Humans fear things they don't understand.
    3) Saying a magic man in the sky controls everything we don't understand makes the fear go away.

For example we used to fear the moon. We don't anymore because we figured out enough about it to predict its behavior. This process is called science.

2 out of 3 Pros agree the worst Joe to ever attend Pros vs Joes.
    On most weeknights after 10:30 EST looking to play MLG and Arena.
    Halo 2 Dr. Phil & Mr. Rogers recordings : http://www.soundspoof.com/index.php?cat=thebest

Crawler

I believe in God because that is how I was raised...

personale i Believe Jesus is the son of God who came to this earth to for are sins they rose again.

I believe the Bible to be true and that Jesus was the son of God sent to earth to retake the keys of death from Satan. I also believe the Christian church is at a breaking point and that most Christians in America are confusing American Civil Religion (worship of the state) with Christianity. The church needs to give everything, keep nothing. Once they fix that then the message of Jesus as well as the apostles will be looked upon with favor and people will see that the church actually cares instead of their current status...

LANimal

Quote Originally Posted by Spudskii View Post
    I believe the Bible to be true and that Jesus was the son of God sent to earth to retake the keys of death from Satan. I also believe the Christian church is at a breaking point and that most Christians in America are confusing American Civil Religion (worship of the state) with Christianity. The church needs to give everything, keep nothing. Once they fix that then the message of Jesus as well as the apostles will be looked upon with favor and people will see that the church actually cares instead of their current status...
    This is exactly how I feel, except the church does need to keep some stuff because the employees need to make enough money to survive and preach to all peoples of the Earth as is our mandate, but nothing more.