Welcome to the The LAN Network Forum.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LANce Armstrong

Where Halo goes from here

So, MLG won't be holding a Halo tournament in Anaheim. I don't know if this statement is completely true since I have not found an MLG article confirming or denying such (if there is one and I've missed it, please link it for me). However, if you look at the game lineup under the Spring Championship page, there is no Halo.

This leaves the question... Where to now? Well, the answer is obvious. TLN.

TLN is going to be our new source of content and news. I don't want to give away any information that isn't mine to give, but I will say that there is even more in the works right now. This is not the same site that it was under the former management. The things that are happening are meant to bolster this game and turn it into a money maker. The way it used to be.

However, these things will not start coming to fruition until mid-to-late summer. Therefore, it is our job to ensure that we get the word out, and provide whatever interim content we can. I will create another post of my ideas when I have time later tonight. Until then, let's hear what you are willing to do, and go from there. I am willing to help people get started.

LANdalf The Grey

can we just host a MLG/TLN Halo tournament at the gaming house with prize money provided from sponsors wanting to help make this tournament happen? and no... not a Halo Reach tournament, lets have a Halo 2 Tournament ^_^ i dont see why not this cant be done
    Last edited by MidKnight; 04-18-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Check out GamingJerseys.com
    Done playing Halo Reach competitively, but will remain on this website! Hit me up on xbox live! My gamertag is "vs Tension"! Feel free to add me and we'll play some CLASSIC Playlist

Super SaiyLAN

MLG Ref
    AotM
    It does appear that MLG won't be hosting Halo at Anaheim but I don't think that's too surprising. I can't wait to see what TLN can put together in the meantime so I can get my Ogre 2 fix.

LANce Armstrong

I want to rephrase my OP. I am not sure why I put it the way I did, but what I should have said was that this site NEEDS TO BECOME a center of Halo content. There are things happening with this site, but they won't happen for a while. So we as loyal members of TLN need to create a member-base.

How do we do that? We make our own content. Let's get some real stuff going. What we need is video content. If anyone has ideas, please share. If you would like help with your idea, please let me know. We will put something together, and I will help you present it to Small as content for the site. I'm already working on a couple of ideas of my own. Thanks guys, and don't let Halo die!

LANce Armstrong

Yeah we def need to make this the center of halo for sure, i'm gonna try and come up with some ideas and if i come up with any ill edit my post!

Highly doubt that this is something that could be organized in a timely manner, or that it could be done by a member period, but hey it's an idea. Maybe TLN can get the ball rolling on this...

I'd like to see a Halo Anthology Tournament ... let me try to explain:

32 players and 4 games (H1, H2, H3, and Reach)

Start off with an FFA, draw random names into 4 pools of 8 players, for each match you draw a random game as well. (Don't worry, this is only for the FFA portion)
    Top 4 from each game advance, "winners" of match 1 play winners of 3; winners of 2 play winners of 4; again top 4 advance plus a "losers bracket" final. This will give 16 players all a "seed" essentially.

Captains will be appointed based on these "seeds" determined by the FFA, each player then picks a team mate from the remaining 16 players (first place in FFA picks first, then 2nd, then 3rd, etc), forming 2-man teams - and a Halo 1 doubles bracket is formed using the captain's seeds. This bracket will be used to determine the top 8, and again the top 8 "teams" will select another t02 from the bottom 8, forming a new team of 4.

Once the t04 is formed, they will stay together for the remainder of the tournament, and a bracket will be formed for EACH of the remaining games, based on placings of the previous title.

Halo 2 4v4 will use H1 "captain" placings as seeds
    Halo 3 4v4 will use final placings from Halo 2 4v4 as seeds
    Halo Reach 4v4 will use final placings from Halo 3 4v4 as seeds

As each bracket is completed, the placings are awarded points. I haven't worked out the math exactly, but it would be something like 1st place gets 8 points, 2nd place gets 6 points, 3rd place gets 4 points, etc etc etc.
    The team with the most points overall at the end of the tournament wins. Additional prizes could be awarded for the 1st place team in each game. No prize for FFA since it is used for seeding purposes only.

The reason I like the idea of this (regardless of how it's structured) is that it covers multiple skillsets over multiple games.
    - Some people are really good at H1 and H2, while other (younger) players are better at H3 and Reach.
    - Strategy will come into play from your team choices more as the tournament goes on.
    - It might not always be the best idea to pick the highest available seed from the previous game, because they might suck at the next one.
    - It will also split up some common teams and force them to play with other people, which can add excitement and frustration for both the players and spectators.
    - It might bring some old names back into the spotlight, or even out of retirement (even if only for this one event)
    - It would allow some newer spectators to see the glory days of Halo, and the competitiveness it had, encouraging more people to shun some of the "improvements" made over the years in favor of settings that are more competitive.

I'm sure there are other reasons... but that's all i can think of right now...

What do you guys think? Pros/Cons?
    TWITTER // Twitch.TV // www.theitdungeon.com

GT: Digital Deity

LAN Helsing

I know its a basic idea, but its simple advertising. I checked out TLN after a saw all the gamertags with it in them. I would be down to change mine, anyone else?

I will think of more ideas and edit them in later

Gamertag: Omg its Dibs
    One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain

LANdalf The Grey

that awkward moment when Classic drops Str8 Sick for a tournament that isnt even happening lol
    Check out GamingJerseys.com
    Done playing Halo Reach competitively, but will remain on this website! Hit me up on xbox live! My gamertag is "vs Tension"! Feel free to add me and we'll play some CLASSIC Playlist

Banned

anyone see what tre and sudd 1 are trying to start up?

Sir LANs-a-lot

Astro Gaming
    Everyone knows that Anaheim is the easiest event to place in just for the fact that not many teams go. Columbus brought Halo a couple extra months on life support and I feel that if Halo was at Anaheim it would "unplug" the metaphorical cord keeping Halo alive. We should be happy MLG didn't bring HR to Anaheim and wait for H4...
    "I have a Twinkie stuck in my throat." -Havk1nKn1ght

"I want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world"-Havk1nKn1ght

http://thelannetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?2019
    ^^^^^^^^^THE FML Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^