Welcome to the The LAN Network Forum.
  • Login:
    Certified Lurk

AotM
    Astro Gaming

Xenoblade Chronicles

ok so i gave up on JRPGs a while ago Really i gave up on them after the PS2 era ended. (i tried alot of the JRPGs on 360 and PS3 and none of them really pulled me in) BUT this game is on the Wii and i have waited for it to hit the US for quite sometime and boy was i glad i forked out the money for it. its amazing and the Battle system rocks the story is pretty decent so far its cheesy but not in a bad way. Expect my full review once i beat it. currently im about 8 hours in.

The protagonist is an 18-year-old young man named Shulk, who lives in Colony 9 (located at the foot of the Bionis a dead God from long ago) at the start of the game’s main story. When the colony is attacked by the Mechon, he obtains the legendary energy blade called the Monado, thought to be the sword of the Bionis eons ago, and leaves to initially stop the Mechon threat. Those who fight with him are: Reyn, a young and headstrong Defense Force soldier; Fiora, Shulk and Reyn's childhood friend; Dunban, the previous wielder of the Monado and Fiora's older brother; Sharla, a medic and sniper from Colony 6; Melia, mage and crown princess of the High Entia; and Riki, a member of the Nopon who is chosen as the hero of his race.

Xenoblade conveys the feeling of freedom to the player, and is not as focused on cutscenes and story as its sibling games Xenogears and Xenosaga. The game conveys this feeling through large, open environments. Xenoblade Chronicles has an action-based battle system where normal attacks will happen automatically at intervals, similar to the set up in Final Fantasy XII. However, everything else is done manually, including movement of the character the player is using, which plays an integral role into Shulk's special attacks. Special attacks recharge separately when used and are set by the player on a "battle palette" at the bottom of the screen. The game also has the "Visions" system, where the player can see glimpses of the future, and try to react or prevent it from happening.

The game has a number of features labeled as "Time Saving Support Features". For instance, while the game has a day and night time cycle, players can "wind the clock" to the time they want to go to, rather than just letting time elapse. Additionally, while the game is about exploration, many warp points have been added to aid in traversing the land. The game also sports a "save anywhere" feature, a feature relatively rare among the console RPG genre.

Another of the game's systems is the "bonds system," in which characters can partake in many optional sidequests with non-player characters. Completing such quests can alter perception of the character in the towns, and open up additional story sequences.

XB:C provides extensive customization, such as being able to change the character's outfits, and having those changes be seen in battle, field, and even event scenes.
    Last edited by HavkinKnight; 06-11-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added Wiki info
    November "AotM" Winner
    "Winner of the MVP Forum Award!"
    "Twitch Stream: www.Twitch.tv/HavkinKnight"
    AD Carry LF Team

"Sic Parvis Magna"

Team TLN: HavkinKnight (LoL/Halo 4/Injustice) Gweedo888 (Injustice)
    Str8 Rippinfan for life!!

LAN Fan

Fantasy Camper
    I'm not sure if you were really asking for any critiquing, but I write reviews myself and thought I would throw in my two cents. You start your sentences often with "The game" which can get repetitive. Other than that, I liked this first impressions piece, and am looking forward to reading the full review. I think the market for JRPGS had certainly been saturated with underwhelming showings, which ultimately led to its basic demise in America, but this game certainly looks amazing.
    I swear to God, if I were a piano player or an actor or something and all those dopes thought I was terrific, I'd hate it. I wouldn't even want them to CLAP for me. People always clap for the wrong things.

Certified Lurk

AotM
    Astro Gaming
    so far im now just shy of 16 hours in and again this game is so amazing that im trying to push back real life to play! i have yet to feel like i was stuck or grinding my way through and each new place offers a nice sub story that moves the over all story i often feel like im far into the game (my party members are level 30) only to find out the story is truly just starting. its an amazing feeling to get captured in the sub plots that surround the main story and get excited for each new area and quest.
    November "AotM" Winner
    "Winner of the MVP Forum Award!"
    "Twitch Stream: www.Twitch.tv/HavkinKnight"
    AD Carry LF Team

"Sic Parvis Magna"

Team TLN: HavkinKnight (LoL/Halo 4/Injustice) Gweedo888 (Injustice)
    Str8 Rippinfan for life!!