Welcome to the The LAN Network Forum.
  • Login:
    LANce Armstrong

Even more great news!!!

Halo Waypoint is hosting a Halo 4 FFA tournament with $500k in prizes! That's insane! They also said something about local LAN qualifiers! Get ready for a Halo summer!

Super SaiyLAN

MLG Ref
    AotM
    I can't post this on MLG's site but I sure as heck can here. This kind of upsets me because MLG carried tournament Halo for a LONG time and they never had very much support from Bungie or 343 outside of an MLG playlist. It pisses me off to see the AGL events being advertised on the Halo 4 home screen when you log on. They didn't even post a link to the stream on their website or do any kind of promoting for MLG when the pre-launch tournament happened in Dallas and that benefits them directly!

I'm glad to see that 343 is trying to revive the tournament scene and get people excited about the game but I feel that they wouldn't be in the shape they're in if they had helped MLG out more with money and promotion. That 500k would go a long way towards the teams and players that everyone knows and loves. To me, 5 100k tournaments that allow 4v4 would make more sense, be more exciting and keep people talking. I'm sure a TON of people are going to watch this 500k tourney but then after that, who cares? It's not like we have team changes to talk about or the next tournament. I highly doubt they are doing any more of these because 500k is a lot of money to throw around. Perhaps they will drop it down to like 50 or 100k and throw in 4v4 later but if they have the money to do that kind of stuff, again, why haven't they just been helping an established audience in MLG with the prize money and avoiding the cost of setting up/running a tournament themselves?

LANimal

Krillen, you are right and I can see how you are upset.

MLG never got any help because Halo was still in the hands of Bungie and frankly, Halo didn't need the help at the time. 343i has done a world more than Bungie ever did for the competitive scene with decreasing bloom in Reach, the new weapon tuning update for 4, as well as all the tournaments and promotion stuff they are working with now. How I see it, 343i never really realized the importance of the competitive scene until it was a little too late. That was after the MLG launch tournament. While they didn't help the scene grow then, you can definitely see they care as they are doing everything they can to help support it and their game now.

It is hard to ignore that part of this turnaround happened after our very own Bravo joined the 343i team. Part of his job involves working with the Halo community and no doubt he helps represent the competitive community from the inside. He has already gotten current pros to help with the recent release of the weapon tuning to make sure it was in tip top shape for release. I bring this up because some of the changes have no doubt been part of Bravo's influence and I don't think the community has given him the "thank you" he has earned.

I agree with your point about trying to use MLG's established audience but I honestly feel that bridge has been burned. Since MLG only has venue room to run one large-crowd FPS, MLG picking Call of Duty from a business standpoint is very obvious. Halo doesn't even have a chance there. Even if MLG were to pick up Halo for a few events (alongside COD) the community would still be in the dependent state it fell victim to already. The better option would be for 343i to invest in AGL and the other exclusive tournaments. Even though nothing has been announced, with the evidence of 343i trying to help so much I'm sure they are working out something behind the scenes. Then again, all we can do is cross our fingers and wait.

Splitting up this large 500k cash pool to support multiple tournaments is nothing but logical. Having a steady "season" of tournaments rather than one large Blow Out just makes sense. But don't you think that 343i is already working on other competitions? I do not believe they have put all of their eggs in this one FFA basket. Even back during the Infinity Challenge they were working for future competitive promotions and they have to be doing the same now.

343i didn't realize the importance of the competitive scene at first, but now they do and are doing all they can to help. I believe that they will announce even more and better ways to support the scene beyond this 500k FFA. Halo 4 wasn't the most competitive game at launch and 343i realized that. But you can bet that the next-gen Halo will come out GUNZ BLAZING

NeighborFan BravoFan

Super SaiyLAN

MLG Ref
    AotM
    Thanks for the reply. I was just venting but you made some excellent points. It's exciting that Halo isn't dead and I can't wait to see what the future holds. I know that the higher ups in MLG still hold Halo with very high regard and Sundance has hinted in some of his tweets that there might be some hope for the future. Time will tell!

Certified Lurk

AotM
    Astro Gaming
    wow I wanted to say something but Krillin just sucked the words out of my mouth... all I can say is I hope this brings light to the whole scene I think Halo would work with a SC2/LoL/FGC style event where there are tons of hosted events by different leagues that all pool their points into one major event.
    November "AotM" Winner
    "Winner of the MVP Forum Award!"
    "Twitch Stream: www.Twitch.tv/HavkinKnight"
    AD Carry LF Team

"Sic Parvis Magna"

Team TLN: HavkinKnight (LoL/Halo 4/Injustice) Gweedo888 (Injustice)
    Str8 Rippinfan for life!!